Medical Justice seeks a Chair of Trustees to help navigate through a changing landscape.
About our trustees
The Board of Trustees is the governing body of Medical Justice and is responsible for the overall management of our charity. All our trustees are volunteers. Any single trustee does not need to know how to do everything, but the board should be made up of people who can each bring something different, and who can work together. Trustees should have links into relevant wider networks.
The Board currently meets from 6–8.30pm once a quarter. There may be some involvement in between meetings, including a quarterly Executive Committee meeting. It is expected that the Chair will be in regular contact with Director and, as necessary, with the other Trustees.
1. To work in partnership with the Director and the other trustees to ensure that the charity has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and that the charity, the trustees and the Director deliver the charity’s objectives;
2. In particular, to ensure that securing the greatest possible benefit for immigration detainees, whether directly or indirectly, is at the heart of all we do;
3. To ensure that the board of trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper and efficient governance, including financial governance, of the charity;
4. To be responsible for ensuring that the board focuses on its governance role and does not slip incrementally into the management role;
5. To chair the Annual General Meeting, quarterly board meetings, plan the annual cycle of meetings with the Director and support, supervise and appraise the Director.
We are keen to recruit trustees from all sections of our community
Three of our trustees have lived experience of detention – we would like to increase this number. We are looking for trustees who share our values of human rights and equality. You should hold a vision of radical change. Whatever your background, who you are, your experience and your commitment is what we are interested in more than anything and we look forward to hearing from you.
This is an extremely rewarding but voluntary position and is unremunerated. The role description for the Chair can be found here. There is scope for a new trustee to act as chair designate for a few months until comfortable about taking the chair role.
For further information, or to arrange an informal conversation with the Director and/or Acting Chair, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday 12th February 2021.
Hours: Board meets from 6-8pm every 3 months and involvement in between these meetings.