This page contains information about recent and upcoming YLAL meetings and events across the country. New members are always welcome to come along to our meetings. Unless stated otherwise, there is no need to confirm your attendance - just turn up. There's no obligation to talk at the meetings - just come along and observe if you've never been to a meeting before and are nervous about speaking. On the other hand if you have lots to say, feel free to come along and say it!
Our upcoming events are:
- Tuesday 12 November 2019: Women in Law panel event in Leeds
- Wednesday 13 November 2019: interactive discussion meeting in London on the topic 'How do we make legal aid work for everyone?'
- Tuesday 26 November 2019: careers in legal aid event in Birmingham
Please see below for full details of all upcoming events.
London meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month, from 6:30pm.
Our next meeting is on Wednesday 13 November at 6:30pm at 39 Essex Chambers, 81 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1DD. We will be discussing the topic: 'How do we make legal aid work for everyone?' The meeting will be informal and interactive - just bring yourself, your ideas and your enthusiasm!
Please let us know if you have any other questions about our London meetings by emailing email@example.com.
Our next YLAL Midlands event will be a Careers in Legal Aid panel at St Ives Chambers in Birmingham at 6pm on Tuesday 26 November.
Budding legal aid lawyers don’t always get an opportunity to learn more about their fields of interest, so we are excited to present our annual careers event, focusing on legal aid and allowing attendees to quiz panellists on how to get involved in each of their respective sectors. We are delighted to be joined by the following speakers practising in different publicly funded areas of law:
- Public law – Erika Wright (trainee solicitor at Irwin Mitchell)
- Immigration – Aleksandra Stankiewicz (solicitor at Duncan Lewis)
- Family - Malvika Jaganmohan (incoming tenant at St Ives Chambers)
- Crime – Alex Pritchard-Jones (barrister at St Ives Chambers)
So if you're interested in finding out more about a career in legal aid, join us at St Ives Chambers, 1-3 Whittall St, Birmingham B4 6DH at 6pm on Tuesday 26 November. Attendance is free, but please register to attend via Eventbrite here.
Our next meeting will be on Tuesday 12 November 2019 from 6:30pm at the University of Law in Leeds (15-16 Park Row, Leeds, LS1 5HD), and will be a panel discussion on Women in Law.
We have four brilliant guest speakers joining us:
- Sarah Blackmore (Joint Head of Chambers at Spire Barristers);
- Emma Pearmaine (Managing Director at Ridley & Hall Solicitors and President of Leeds Law Society);
- Kara Frith (Partner and Head of Criminal Law at Ison Harrison Solicitors);
- Semaab Shaikh (Barrister at Broadway House Chambers)
Our speakers will discuss key issues affecting women in the legal profession, this will be followed by a short Q&A and networking. You can sign up here.
You can find out more about YLAL Leeds on our Facebook page, or by emailing us.
Our next meeting will be an introduction to legal aid; more information coming soon!
Keep an eye on this page for announcements of future meetings and events.
You can find out more about YLAL Liverpool on our Facebook page, or by emailing us.
Following our summer social in August, we will be holding an introduction to YLAL and working in legal aid - watch this space for more details!
We were at the University of Sheffield Law Fair on 2 October 2019. Come and see us to find out more, or join us at the Great Legal Quiz.
YLAL South West
Our last event was at St Johns Chambers on 9 October 2019 for our Insight into Inquests event. We were delighted to be joined by specialist speakers
- Marcus Coates-Walker, St John's Chambers
- Hollie Wheeler, Irwin Mitchell
Public Law Wales and Young Legal Aid Lawyers held a joint seminar for YLAL's first event in Wales, discussing: Becoming a Public Lawyer in Wales: Social Mobility, Advice, and Perspectives on Wednesday 13 February 2019.