Bison Solicitors (Oldham) – Mental Health Law Paralegal
Bison Solicitors are a successful and established legal practice that pride themselves on excellence. We are looking to expand so we can continue to represent those in most need and provide advice and representation on all aspects of Mental Health Law. Accordingly, we have an opportunity for a paralegal to join our Mental Health team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who feels confident to handle their own case load from a relatively early stage. You will be running files from start to finish, representing clients on 1:1 basis, under thinking advocacy skills on daily basis and representing some of the most vulnerable people in our society. To assist you with managing your own case load, you will be provided with the necessary training, and you will be allocated a supervisor to assist you. What is even more exciting, is that if you succeed as a Mental Health law paralegal and demonstrate motivation to progress your legal career, training contract opportunities are available. Doesn’t this sound like the ideal opportunity for you?
Responsibilities of a Mental Health Law paralegal
• Meeting and interviewing clients to give advice on all aspects of their detention under the Mental
• Opening files/matters, undertaking initial opening procedures.
• Managing varied and complex cases from beginning to end.
• Advocating on your clients behalf – at professionals meetings, on the wards/at hospitals, with professionals, and during hearings.
• Undertaking legal research and instructing experts where required.
• Representing clients at Hospital Managers Hearings or First Tier Tribunal Hearings (once you have
successfully completed a law society mental health accreditation scheme).
• Going above and beyond to fulfil your client’s instructions to the best of your legal ability. Person
Our North branch is based in Oldham. The candidate does not need to be based within this area.
However, will need to have a willingness to travel to the associated courts or hospitals. Following the
completion of the probation period, we offer hybrid and flexible working schemes available to all
employees. Although previous legal work experience is preferred, the successful candidate does not
need to have legal work experience as long as, they compensate with a can-do attitude.
You should be passionate about helping people and representing those who are the most vulnerable
The successful candidate would have completed a law degree and/or LPC. You must hold a UK Driver’s License and have full access to a car.
Do you have the skills required to succeed as a Mental Health law paralegal?
• Excellent communicator in both written and spoken English.
• Must be proactive in seeking to manage and progress files and apply a consistent attention to detail.
• Excellent time management and organisational skills.
• The ability to work within a high pressure, high workload environment.
• Be self-confident, proactive and able to develop good working relationship with third parties.
• Resilient with the ability to cope with ever-changing priorities.
• Be able to work effectively, with flexibility in your approach to work. • Ability to work with difficult/challenging clients
• Demonstrate the highest standards of client care Job Type: Full-time Salary: From £19,000
Supplemental pay types:
• Exciting bonus scheme whereby you get rewarded for your hard work.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From £19,000.00 per year
• 8 hour shift
• Monday to Friday Supplemental pay types
• Bonus scheme
• Performance bonus
Work Location: In person