Lawstop (Multiple locations) – Housing, Education and Community Care Paralegals / Caseworkers
Lawstop is a specialist firm of solicitors with offices in London, Brighton, Cornwall, Somerset, Hull, the Wirral, Sandwell, Leicestershire, and Rutland.
Lawstop, an expanding legal aid law practice, is seeking top calibre Housing, Education and Community Care Paralegals/Caseworkers to work full-time, starting as soon as possible after interview. Previous experience working in a legal environment and knowledge of legal aid is very desirable.
The position will involve conducting initial client interviews and recording their instructions, advising clients, communicating with external bodies, time recording, and general administrative duties. We require a mature, self-motivated individual with excellent spoken and written communication skills, the ability to quickly absorb legal information and to conduct legal research. You will have very good organisational and time management skills and be able to produce documents to tight deadlines. Patience and tact are necessary as you will be assisting vulnerable people whose welfare is our priority.
This long-term position would be ideal for a person seeking experience in housing, public, community care or education law and who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
Job Type: Full-time, Monday – Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm
Salary: £24,000.00 per year
Deadline: 29 April 2023, 5pm
Main Responsibilities of the Role:
– Professional pro-active approach, strong client care skills and a sensitive and sympathetic understanding of clients’ needs
– Assisting with casework
– Attending clients, taking instructions and preparing cases
– Dealing with correspondence
– Preparing and managing funding applications to the Legal Aid Agency
– Preparing draft documents including witness statements and processing evidence
– Preparing applications to include drafting application forms, index of documents and letters of representations
– Attending conferences and court
– Maintaining accurate time costing procedures
– Implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly file reviews ensuring that these are dealt with promptly
– Ensuring compliance with file management
Key Skills Required:
– A strong academic background with a Law degree
– Legal experience as an Paralegal/Advisor/Caseworker
– Excellent communications skills to work effectively with all types of people.
– Excellent organisational skills and ability to use own initiative but know when to seek guidance.
– Committed team player, self -motivated and professional.
– Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications and document management skills
Equal Opportunities: Lawstop is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce. We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies. The recruitment process will fully comply with GDPR and other applicable laws.