Mackintosh Law Solicitors (London) – Paralegal (Court of Protection (Welfare))
Mackintosh Law Solicitors are looking for a paralegal to join our friendly Court of Protection welfare team on a fixed term contract for a minimum 3 months, with the possibility of extending this
on a rolling monthly basis depending on workload.
We specialise in representing disabled adults and young people in relation to their mental capacity and their need for essential health and social care services to maximise their potential and to protect them from harm.
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn and develop within a highly regarded Legal 500 and Chambers ranked law firm that has been involved in many of the leading test legal challenges in the mental capacity and community care field. It would also be an ideal seat for any trainee seeking a secondment, Qualifying Work Experience for the SQE, or for those planning to join the Bar.
We are open to candidates from a variety of backgrounds. What is really important is your enthusiasm, dedication and personality fit. The successful applicant will have theright attitude, aptitude and ability.
Your Skills and Experience
• Previous legal assistant experience is preferable.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Accuracy, good organisational skills and flexibility.
• Close attention to detail and the ability to work under tight timescales.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office is required.
We will provide support and training in a specialist legal environment to develop excellent legal skills to enable you to succeed in this role and to make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people.
The post will involve assisting fee earners in progressing cases under close supervision, and is likely to include ( not exclusively):
• being involved in stages of the case preparation and strategy
• considering evidence, records and carrying out legal research
• preparing instructions to counsel, drafting letters
• arranging and attending conferences and/or hearings with counsel
• drafting documents for Court
• all administrative tasks in relation to the above including maintaining files, time recording and following administrative procedures
• under supervision meeting with and advising vulnerable clients in the office, hospital, care home or elsewhere
• attending professional meetings and taking accurate notes.
There is no training contract or long term position on offer. This role carries a fixed term contract of a minimum of 3 months and may be extended depending on the needs of the firm.
We are a specialist law firm providing expert legal advice and representation to disabled clients in the niche areas of mental capacity, community care and health care law. We represent vulnerable people who need assistance in making decisions about key aspects of their lives including their rights to services and possible challenges to unlawful decisions made by public bodies such as local authorities and health organisations.
Our work seeks to raise the profile of the legal rights of people with learning disabilities, people in mental distress and clients with physical disabilities.
Start date: As soon as possible
Guide salary band: £23,500 to £26,000 pro rata, dependent on skills. For more experienced paralegals a different band applies.
All applications must be made via our application pack by the deadline below.
Please complete the application pack using the link provided in the recruitment page
of our website https://www.macklaw.co.uk/recruitment or email your request for a
word version of the pack to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE for applications via the pack is 5pm, 23 March 2023 with
interviews to take place the same and/or following week.