Release (Hybrid / London) – Legal Adviser
Release is the national centre of expertise on drugs and drugs law. The organisation, founded in 1967, is an independent and registered charity. Through our services the team provides free non‐judgmental, specialist advice and information to the public and professionals on issues related to drug use and to drug laws. The organisation campaigns directly on issues that impact on our clients ‐ it is their experiences that drive the policy work that Release does and why we advocate for evidence‐based drug policies that are founded on principles of public health rather than a criminal justice approach. Release believes in a just and fair society where drug policies should reduce the harms associated with drugs, and where those who use drugs are treated based on principles of human rights, dignity and equality.
We invite applications for the Legal Adviser post from those who share our commitment to supporting
the legal and human rights of people whose lives are affected by drug use and drug policy. As a member of our dynamic legal team, based in London, your responsibilities will include:
– Delivering a minimum 2 legal outreach service’s at drug treatment/day centre’s per week, to clients of the ‘host’ centre. There will also be the opportunity to participate in delivering legal services via our new ‘virtual’ delivery model to other regions in England.
– Completing casework resulting from our legal surgeries across London, on issues including welfare benefits, housing, and debt;
– Providing advice to the public and professionals about legal issues connected with drug use (training will be provided);
– Updating our specialist publications;
– Contributing to our commentary on drugs legislation;
– Assisting with the development of our website and other IT‐related service initiatives and their legal compliance.
Minimum requirements for the post include:
– Completion of LLB (or GDL) plus demonstrable understanding and experience in providing social welfare legal advice in crime, housing, benefits, or debt; or
– Completion of LPC or BVC/BPTC and some experience in providing social welfare legal advice in crime, housing, benefits, or debt.
The successful candidate will have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check upon
Closing time & date: 5.00 pm on Monday 19 June 2023
Interviews to be held: As applications arrive
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: £28,900 p.a. plus 3% pension contribution
Contract Type: Permanent
Holidays: 29 days plus public holidays
Location: Hybrid – Office (Aldgate, London)/Working from home
To apply for the position, please send a current CV and a supporting statement detailing why you are suitable for the position quoting reference LA0523 to email@example.com
Applicants are strongly advised to use the supporting statement as their opportunity to relate their skills to the job description and person specification which you can find here.
For an informal and confidential discussion regarding the position, please contact the Head of Legal
Services – Stephen Cutter on 020 7324 2991 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
**For this job, Release will only consider applications from those who already have the right to live and work in the UK. See the Home Office Immigration & Nationality Directorate (www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk) for information on the UK Government’s immigration policy.