Release (hybrid / London) – Solicitor
|Application closing time & date:||5.00 pm on Monday 05 June 2023|
|Interviews to be held:||Week commencing 12th June 2023|
|Start date:||As soon as possible|
|Salary:||£33,820 – £38,296 p.a. based upon PQE plus 3% pension|
|Contract Type:||Full time, Permanent|
|Holidays:||29 days plus public holidays|
|Location:||Office (Aldgate, London)/Working from home. Occasional site visits to remote legal outreach services.|
Release is the national centre of expertise on drugs and drugs law. The organisation, founded in 1967, is an independent and registered charity. Through our services the team provides free non‐judgmental, specialist advice and information to the public and professionals on issues related to drug use and to drug laws. The organisation campaigns directly on issues that impact on our clients ‐ it is their experiences that drive the policy work that Release does and why we advocate for evidence‐based drug policies that are founded on principles of public health rather than a criminal justice approach. Release believes in a just and fair society where drug policies should reduce the harms associated with drugs, and where those who use drugs are treated based on principles of human rights, dignity and equality.
Release has recently expanded the number of legal services we deliver in centres supporting people with
drug dependency and/or those experiencing homelessness. We invite applications for the Solicitor post from those who share our commitment to supporting the legal and human rights of people whose lives are affected by drug use and drug policy. As a member of our dynamic legal team, based in London, your responsibilities will include:
– To deliver high quality legal services to clients of drug treatment centres/ homeless projects/sexual health clinics in the London area, and when necessary and with training deliver our ‘virtual’ legal outreach service to clients of drug treatment services located in the North and East of England, Berkshire and Lincoln;
– Managing and completing casework resulting from our legal outreach services on issues including welfare benefits, housing, and debt. In the coming months we will be expanding our services to include immigration advice and representation;
– Providing advice to the public and professionals about legal issues connected with drug use (training will be provided);
– Updating our specialist publications;
– Contributing to our local and National policy commentary/response on drugs, and all associated legislation.
Release does not currently hold a legal aid contract, but we wish to develop a housing litigation service and are reviewing our processes with a view to tendering for a contract in 2024. The successful candidate will work with the management team towards this goal.
Requirements for the post includes:
- Successful completion of Training Contract
- Preferred 1 years’ experience in any of the following areas of law in a professional setting: social security advice and representation; housing litigation; Criminal practice; Immigration practice.
Applications also welcomed from those working outside these areas of law.
– The successful candidate will have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check upon
– Employment references will also be requested upon appointment.
To apply for the position, please send a current CV and a supporting statement detailing why you are
suitable for the position quoting reference SOL0623 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the application post here: https://www.release.org.uk/vacancy-solicitor
Applicants are strongly advised to use the supporting statement as an opportunity to relate their skills to the job description and person specification, as well as their wider interests in working with our client group.
For an informal and confidential discussion regarding the position, please contact the Head of Legal
Services – Stephen Cutter on 020 7324 2991 or email email@example.com.
Release is committed to promoting equal opportunities